-A A +A

VSO’s (Veterans Service Officer) are typically those who work for a Service organization such as Disabled American Veterans, American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars and so on.  CVSO, also known as County Veteran Service Officer are employed by the State and your tax dollars with your State Department of Veterans Affairs (don’t confuse this with VA).

An Accredited Represntative is someone who has gone through formal training and has applied with the Department of Veterans Affiars.  They must pass a test administered by VA in order to be recognized by VA to become Accredited.  By doing this, they can represent you (the veteran or family of a veteran) with the claim process.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) uses many acronyms and abbreviations for VA terms.  An accredited Veteran's disability attorney, VSO or Claims Agent will be very familiar with “VA speak.”  We have compiled the following list of VA abbreviations to help you read VA records and understand VA shorthand.


NO. The actual award letter can only be obtained from the regional office or from the VSO that you have been working with. However, you can log on to eBenefits and generate a letter in the 'VA Letters' section that will tell you what your current % and monthly payment is. This is often how people find out about their claim before a letter is ever received.

How long do appeals take?

Again, individual answer. I know I keep saying that. Truth is, there is no way of knowing how long your appeal may take. An average appeal is around 2-3 years and in many cases up to 5-7 years; and that’s just average. Many, many people have waited much, much longer. If you do not have a Board date consider filing using new evidence under RAMP->'Supplemental Claim'.